Mount Si boys’ soccer team begins push to state title in dominant fashion, while CHS’ season ends with loss

A Mount Si player battles a player from Mariner for the ball during last night’s Wildcat-Marauder playoff boys’ soccer game at Mount Si High School, won easily by Mount Si. (Rhett Workman/SVSJ)

Mount Si High School’s boys’ soccer team opened the postseason at home in Snoqualmie last night and expected to send a strong message about how far they’re going to be able to go on this playoff push. Well, it did not take them long to send that message – two minutes, in fact – and the Wildcats established what could be a relatively easy road to a possible state title with a dominating victory over Mariner.

Eight different players scored goals in the 8-1 win at home last night in the semifinals of the Wes-King 4A district tournament. Coach Darren Brown was pleased. “We executed our game plan,” he said. Senior Mateo DiDomenico, one of five Wildcats named to the All-Kingco first-team, agreed. “(Mariner, the) Wesco two seed we didn’t really know ’cause their league is not Kingco but you never know,” he said. “We went out and took care of business.”

As noted, it did not take long to get on the scoreboard. DiDomenico fired a shot on goal in that second minute, which was stopped by Mariner’s keeper but the resulting rebound went to Jared Davies, and he finished it to put Mount Si on the scoreboard. It remained 1-0 for awhile, allowing a very skilled Marauder unit, who had to its credit already this year a win over a Kingco 4A opponent in Bothell, a chance to stay in it. That changed though in the 28th minute. Drew Harris fed Sullivan Smith, and Smith ripped it home for a 2-0 Mount Si lead.

Shortly after, Harris fed a corner kick to Reed Paradissis, and he was on the doorstep to head the ball in for another Wildcat tally. Then, just a couple moments after Paradissis popped it in, Harris fed a second corner kick to Henry Clark, and he connected for a goal. In the span of about seven minutes the lead went from a tight 1-0 to a much easier to deal with 4-0 tally, and it went into halftime this way.

The goal scoring continued in the second half. Banner Hovinga popped it home two minutes into the session and after that saw Brown start to move top players out in favor of reserves, giving them plenty of playing time. The reserves connected on goal six in the 53rd minute. Kaidan Popp fed a corner kick which was deflected to freshman Joey Salem, and Salem took the resulting rebound and rammed it home for the score. Shortly after that tally, there was a foul near the goal area against Mariner, allowing Salem a free kick opportunity.

He fed that freebie to Erik Davies, who was the Wildcat player fouled, and he got the last laugh, popping it home for another goal. And to put the icing on the cake, Salem fed a ball to Clark who then fed it to Sebastian Bednik, and after putting a couple of moves on the Mariner keeper ripped it home in the 60th minute and that was that. It was Bednik’s first goal of the season.

Francisco Llamas broke the Mount Si shutout bid by goalies Colby Ramsey and Jaedan Johnson, ripping a shot past Johnson into the net in the 73rd minute for a goal, but in a game that was as one-sided as this one, it was frankly good to see Mariner be able to take something home they could be proud about, and that was certainly that. With that, things settled down a little bit and Mount Si finished out a win which earned them a trip to state and a home game in the first round next week.

Unfinished business, though: But before Mount Si gets too far ahead of itself, there is the small issue of winning a Wes-King district title. This will come tomorrow night when the Wildcats host Jackson. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. but with Jackson being located in Mill Creek and a similar distance drive to what Mariner had getting down to the Valley last night on a school night, it is very possible the school will request a time change, which if granted would be announced later today.

Brown says he and the team are prepared, and based on his research, he thinks the Wildcats will be in good shape. “I like our chances,” he said. He did praise the Timberwolves, though. “Jackson’s got a good keeper,” Brown said. “They’ve got a good midfield and they have a guy at the top that can put the ball in the net.”

And they are coming off a 4-0 win in their semi last night over Eastlake up in Everett, so they’ll be primed and ready. A win for either team should land that team home dates all the way to the state 4A semifinals. DiDomenico has a message for fans. “We’ve done a lot so far this season but we’re not done. We’ve still got something to prove,” he said.

Cedarcrest season ends
The Red Wolves fell at home in Duvall in overtime to Mountlake Terrace 2-1 to end their season last night in the Northwest 2A District playoffs. CHS finishes the season 8-11-0 overall, 7-7-0 in their first season in the Wesco Conference. No stats were reported.

Rhett Workman

About Rhett Workman

Rhett Workman is the editor of the Snoqualmie Valley Sports Journal. Workman is a veteran sports journalist, having covered Snoqualmie Valley sports for nearly a decade with the Snoqualmie Valley Record newspaper before starting up the SVSJ. Workman's coverage has earned the support and respect of Valley coaches, players, parents and fans, and the SVSJ continues the standard of coverage that Workman brought to the Valley Record.
This entry was posted in Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.