Mount Si High School’s boys soccer team finishes incredible season with runner-up finish in state title game, falling in final minutes to Puyallup

Mount Si High School’s boys’ soccer team left it all on the field last night in their first-ever trip to the state high school boys’ soccer title game. The 4A title clash, against Puyallup, was expected to be a very difficult challenge as the Vikings had come in sporting an 18-2 record and tremendous success against Kingco, going 3-0 on the season outscoring those Kingco foes 10-3 in the three games, which included a state playoff win over Inglemoor. Mount Si, though, found a way to stay in it, but ended up falling short in the end, losing this one in heartbreaking fashion.

The Vikings scored on a free kick with just a couple minutes left in regulation, completing a second half comeback that gave them a 2-1 win over the Wildcats in the title game at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup.

Puyallup had some chances to score early in the contest, including on a penalty kick attempt, but Mount Si’s defense stood up to the challenge and kept things scoreless until midway through the first half when Sullivan Smith found the back of the net to put the Wildcats on top going into halftime. It remained this way into the second half, when the Vikings tied it on an empty net goal early in the session; a shot was stopped by Mount Si goalie Colby Ramsey, but he came out pretty far from the goal and the ball ricocheted off the Wildcat sophomore keeper. Mount Si defender Erik Davies attempted to no avail to clear the ball, leaving it ripe for the taking and Puyallup was there to finish it off and tie the game.

In stoppage time late in regulation, the Vikings – after Davies had been sent off with a red card for a delay of game infraction leaving Mount Si with 10 men – got a free kick just outside the box after having been fouled it appeared actually inside the box. But the end result perhaps ended up being the same as if it were a penalty kick – a goal was scored and Puyallup held on from there and celebrated with their fans following the win. Mount Si’s players did the same as well, thanking the Valley for their support throughout this championship run. This was the best finish by a Wildcat soccer team, either boys or girls, in school history, taking the runner-up trophy, but considering how close this team may have actually been to getting this done in coach Darren Brown’s final game as Wildcat head man, this end result probably left a bitter taste in a lot of people’s mouths, a goal that had been plotted since the start of the season back in February going unfulfilled.

Still, though, this season was a tremendous success, and the Brown era as Mount Si coach comes to a close with him going out arguably as the most successful soccer coach in school history, leading the boys and girls to several state trips, including the girls in 2005 and boys in 2010, and along with longtime assistant Ben Tomlisson helping to expand the cultural reach of the program far and wide with the two exchanges Mount Si did with Tomlisson’s former school in the United Kingdom. Tomlisson is expected to be named the new Wildcat head coach for next season after Brown officially steps down from the position at the end of this school year. He is the school’s athletics director and has resigned the coaching position to fully concentrate on his administrative duties as the AD.

Rhett Workman

About Rhett Workman

Rhett Workman is the editor of the Snoqualmie Valley Sports Journal. Workman is a veteran sports journalist, having covered Snoqualmie Valley sports for nearly a decade with the Snoqualmie Valley Record newspaper before starting up the SVSJ. Workman's coverage has earned the support and respect of Valley coaches, players, parents and fans, and the SVSJ continues the standard of coverage that Workman brought to the Valley Record.
This entry was posted in Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.