The magic carpet ride for Mount Si football in the playoffs continues!! Next stop: Camas……

The magic carpet ride for this Mount Si High School football team seems to just want to continue. The Wildcats the past two weeks going into yesterday’s WIAA 4A state playoff quarterfinal with unbeaten Lake Stevens had defied the prognositcators – including this one – and the computers and frankly anything else that doubted them in scoring two quality road wins – over Monroe and Chiawana from the Tri-Cities – to get to what frankly was going to be perhaps the most difficult challenge of them all, taking on a loaded Viking team that for much of the season had been ranked tops in the state at the 4A level and who a lot of folks felt should have been the top overall seed. Well, guess what happened again yesterday. Yep, third week in a row and now the boys are on to only their second-ever semifinal appearance in school history.

It wasn’t easy, though, as the defense had to hold on for a 24-22 Wildcats win to secure their trip to Camas for the state semifinals this coming weekend. It is set for Saturday at McKenzie Stadium in Vancouver, with a 1:00 p.m. game time.

The scoring started out well for Mount Si as Colby Ramsey kicked a 42-yard field goal in the dying seconds of the opening quarter to put the Wildcats out in front early. After Lake Stevens recorded a safety following a sack of QB Clay Millen in his own end zone, the Vikings were able to run it into the end zone and take a 9-3 lead. Mount Si, though, quickly responded with a 69-yard bomb from Millen to receiver – and Oregon State baseball verbal commit – Aidan Dougherty that set them up to get the lead back before half. Yes, Aidan again. At this rate, Oregon State football coach Jonathan Smith’s going to want to talk to him.

Cole Norah finished it off scampering in for the touchdown from a yard out and the Wildcats had a 10-9 halftime lead and things seemed to be in good stead.

Millen connected with Brayden Holt for another TD, their fifth of those the past two weeks, and this one was from 28 yards out and it opened the scoring in the second half giving Mount Si some cushion. Lake Stevens, though, responded, scoring a touchdown from one yard out tightening things up a little later. The Wildcat special teams, though, came up big, keeping the Vikings from converting a two-point conversion attempt that would have tied the game had it been made. This ended up being big, real big, at the end.

But not before a certain Mr. Stuart DeMerit had something to say, first. The Wildcats’ all-league junior defensive back picked off a pass from Lake Stevens QB Tanner Jellison, and like other games this season, the pick set up another positive result for Mount Si offensively. This time, it was a TD connection from Millen to Andrew Mostofi for 34 yards and the Wildcats had some breathing room, up nine early in the fourth at 24-15. Lake Stevens, though, struck back, with an 85-yard TD pass from Jellison to receiver Sergio Palayo. So, it’s tight again and Mount Si perhaps was on the ropes. Not so. The boys stayed calm and on message, chewing up yards and clock on their next possession.

Unfortunately, though, it ended with no points as Ramsey missed from 38 yards out and the Vikings had their chance. Mount Si’s defense bent, bent, and bent some more, but when it came down to crunch time, it didn’t break. Lake Stevens attempted a 23-yard chip shot with around two minutes left in regulation but saw the kick get blocked – by Wildcat Daniel Harrison – and Mount Si got the ball back. However, on third down, the Vikings’ Drew Carter stopped Norah from turning the corner for what would have been the game-clinching first down and Mount Si was forced to punt back to Lake Stevens. Ramsey, for the second straight week, dropped a boom shot, and pinned the Viking offense well back. Yes, Jellison’s good, and he has his star receiver Kasen Kinchen at the ready. But they stalled out and saw their season end with Mount Si’s defense sacking Jellison on the final play of the game to send the Wildcats on with perhaps the most eye-popping win of these state playoffs thus far.

In all, it was a big day for Kingco as the two other teams competing in the state quarters yesterday – Bothell and Woodinville – both also won big games on the road, and they will meet each other in the other semifinal game this coming weekend up at Pop Keeney Stadium. That will be worth the price of admission for you MSHS fans, that’s for sure, if you can’t make it down to Camas to watch the Wildcats next week.

We’ll start doing our coverage of the big game tomorrow here. However, we also have some college football for you this morning:

Eastern Washington 53, Portland State 46: In what may have been the final college game for senior lineman Chris Schlicting, from North Bend, the Eagles beat the Vikings on Senior Day in Cheney to keep hope alive for a trip to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, with that announcement expected later today. Schlicting is a 2015 MSHS grad and starting offensive tackle for Eastern.

Colorado 20, Washington 14: The Huskies fell to the Buffaloes last night under the lights a mile high in Boulder, CO, in advance of this Friday’s Apple Cup. North Bend’s Jack Westover, a Mount Si HS grad, caught one pass in the contest for two yards for the UW.

Rhett Workman

About Rhett Workman

Rhett Workman is the editor of the Snoqualmie Valley Sports Journal. Workman is a veteran sports journalist, having covered Snoqualmie Valley sports for nearly a decade with the Snoqualmie Valley Record newspaper before starting up the SVSJ. Workman's coverage has earned the support and respect of Valley coaches, players, parents and fans, and the SVSJ continues the standard of coverage that Workman brought to the Valley Record.
This entry was posted in Football. Bookmark the permalink.